You can have found when playing DOD source that the seven game crosshairs provided are just not good enough. I find them to be quite small so always make one that suits me. I also like to make them multi-coloured so I can see them better in all maps.
This is a reasonably easy process if the steps are followed well.
- Download GCFSCAPE. It is here
- Download PAINT.NET. It is here.
- Download VTF PLUGIN FOR PAINT.NET. It is here.
- Install GCFSCAPE, PAINT.NET and the VTF PLUGIN (comes with instructions).
- Run GCFSCAPE.
- Select Open. Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps.
- Select Day Of Defeat Source.gcf - which contains all of the game materials.
- Navigate to root/dod/materials/vgui/crosshairs in GCFSCAPE.
- Drag that folder to your location C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\USERNAME\Day Of Defeat Source\Dod\Materials\vgui - this puts the game crosshairs in your game folder.
- Run PAINT.NET and open one of the files in the Crosshairs folder e.g. crosshair7.vtf
- Edit the file in PAINT.NET to make your own crosshair. The design is up to you.
- Save the crosshair file.
- Run Steam and DOD Source, go to options menu in game and select the crosshair.
Enjoy the fix from me [adct]Glassjaw