In this tutorial we will see how easy it is to change the colour of the game player models for allies and axis easily. This will mean when you play you can see bright players running around the maps, making it easier to spot them. You can also apply the same idea to grenades that are thrown. This will work on most servers, but some have sv_pure set on the server to dis-allow custom models and textures.
- Download GCFSCAPE. It is here.
- Download PAINT.NET. It is here.
- Download VTF PLUGIN FOR PAINT.NET. It is here.
- Install GCFSCAPE, PAINT.NET and the VTF PLUGIN (comes with instructions).
- Run GCFSCAPE.
- Select Open. Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps.
- Select Day Of Defeat Source.gcf - which contains all of the game materials.
- Navigate to root/dod/materials/models/player.
- Drag that folder to your location C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\USERNAME\Day Of Defeat Source\Dod\Materials\Models\Player - this puts the game player models in your game folder.
- Run PAINT.NET and open one of the files in the American or German folder
the best ones are the ones that contain the player faces.
- Edit the file in PAINT.NET to make your own skin colour. I suggest you simply
make a filled rectangle to completely cover the entire image e.g. bright green
- Save the file.
- Run Steam and DOD Source, when playing the team will all be that colour.
You now have an effective bright coloured model to help you if you have bad eyesight or just want an advantage. Below is a sample screenshot of the game with colour models. I have left a sample of the American player in green here, and the German player in red here.
Enjoy the fix from me [adct]Glassjaw